May 24-27: Plant sales

Putting Down Roots "distancing" plant sales:
Due to the pandemic, lots of people are at home and gardening more ambitiously than before!  Hence, seedlings are hard to come by this year.  So while I don't have as many as some years (and have never been on the scale of Grow Pittsburgh or Garden Dreams, now combined), I want to be sure to share what I have as widely as possible.  And I'll be donating the proceeds to 412 Food Rescue, which is helping meet the food needs of vulnerable populations all over Pittsburgh.  I'll be available for visits during limited hours this Sunday to Wednesday -- partly for distancing, partly because I have other stuff I need to do (fancy that!).  More plants will probably be available in a week or two (see below).  Located near the Frick Environmental Center; text (418 4943) or PM me with your ETA and to get the address.  Be sure to wear a mask and (gardening) gloves, walk around the house on the uphill side to the back, make sure the gate is closed behind you, and if you drive here, please drive to the bottom and park facing up (being careful of neighbors' driveways).  Hours this week:  Sunday 9-11 a.m. and 4-6 p.m.;  Monday 2-5 p.m.;  Tuesday 12-3 p.m.; Wednesday 2-5 p.m.  Another FAQ:  payment mode.  Prefer cash, check, or Venmo if necessary (in that order).  
I've grown 50 varieties of tomatoes, brassicas (kales, collards, and cabbage), and cucurbits (cukes, squash, and such) from seed this winter and spring -- and will also have (or can dig) transplants of various perennials from ostrich ferns to sweet woodruff as well as black raspberries, dame's rocket, false lamium, jewelweed, many members of the mint family, blue vervain, evening primrose, and lots more.  Also CobraHead gardening tools, perfect for rooting out plants-in-the-wrong-place (often referred to as "weeds").  
If you are interested in particular things and let me know in advance, I can try to have them ready -- some of the perennials, especially, I'm digging as needed, and not all of the seedlings have been repotted yet.  
Also, if you're not quite planting yet, or have more space, note that some of the plants I have set aside to put in myself might not fit (I can often be *too* ambitious), so I may have another round of sales in a week or two.  Watch this space (well, MarensList and FB)!

No comments: